Saturday, February 5, 2011

SUNRISE - February 5, 2011

February 5, 2011 Sunrise 7:07 am
“I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there.” -Herb Caen

So, today I spent my time enjoying  the benefits of Free Museum Day in Sacramento. 

The California Museum has an exhibit running now:

The Central Valley Turns On: Psychedelic Poster Art, 1965-1975 

 "The California Museum is proud to present an exhibit featuring poster art work from the 1960s and 1970s. The artwork promoting Psychedelic rock music was as revolutionary as the music itself: wild colors, strange images, dynamic composition, and hand-drawn lettering that could be either gracefully decorative or compacted into dense, nearly unreadable patterns.  This exhibit will feature promotional posters and handbills that originated from the dance and concert venues of the Central Valley many of which have not been publicly displayed since they were made in the 1960s and 1970s."

 

Sarah and Lise were off at a ballet lesson. I headed out to the museum. Once a month, the 25 museums in the Sacramento area offer free admission. I knew this exhibit was coming and I have been looking forward to it. Combined with free admission; how could I go wrong? This exhibit featured art and nostalgia from my younger era and coincidentally, also the last time I looked like I am looking now (except much, much younger) with the beard and pony tail.
 

 

As I entered the museum, a nice, older lady (I still can use that term) handed me a map. I asked where the 60's poster art exhibit was. She said: "Up the stairs and to the left, just keep going. You can't miss it. Enjoy reliving your past."





I did.

Some times, wasting your time isn't such a waste after all.


rlw

No comments:

Post a Comment