Monday, January 17, 2011

SUNRISE - January 17, 2011

January 17, 2011 Sunrise 21 am
"We should every night call ourselves to an account; what infirmity have I mastered today? What passions opposed? What temptation resisted? What virtue acquired? Our vices will abort of themselves if they be brought every day to the shrift." – Seneca

As we all are our own worst enemies and perhaps our sharpest critics, the daily calling to account the goals, hopes , dreams and promises made for this day will do one or the other: I will be inspired onward for yet another day with new dreams and promises or step back from my goal and give TIME the lead. 

Like a horse unbridled, rushing towards the unknown of a dark forest, TIME cannot be reined in or reversed, but it can be guided left and right, like a sailboat using the opposing wind to race to its desired destination.  It is not the destination, but rather the journey that is the best adventure.

I spent a bit of time working on my gratitude list at Sunrise today.  The obvious went on paper first: family, friends, shelter, etc. But, I soon realized that although these must be on the list (and sadly, some cannot put these on their list) I felt I needed to move up one category above things to the category a but more ethereal.

Love.

I am grateful that I am able to love and be loved.

The list is still growing.  I will share what is on my list, in no discernible order, in following posts.  Writing the list was an incredibly gratifying exercise I highly recommend.  Write down all the obvious: spouse, children, family, warm house, car that works, job that is secure, etc. first.

Tear that page off and put it aside temporarily. 

Now, start on the real list, with the caveat that it can’t be a thing that can be ‘seen’ or ‘touched’.  Watch how long the list gets.  As it is said, “The most important things in life aren’t things”.

This list, edited and reviewed daily,  will pretty much coat my day with Teflon where disenchantment and disappointments just can’t seem to stick.

rlw

No comments:

Post a Comment